History of Le Maine Castay Cognac
The creator of the house was one Marcellin Leroy, a blacksmith's son born in Pas-de-Calais in 1884. In 1920 he moved to Angouleme and opened a small repair shop for electric motors. This soon blossomed into a factory, and 1930 Leroy turned his efforts to an experimental farm. After some years he decided to construct a distillery, and in 1954 the first official cognacs were produced.
Martell soon recognized the quality of these eaux-de-vies and became the house's main purchaser - a fact that still remains true to this day.
Le Maine Castay Cognac today
Since 1999 the house has been in the capable hands of Marcellin Leroy's great grandson, Pierre-Hervé Castay. It was he who came up with the idea of selecting their very best vintages and creating a small range of high quality cognacs to be marketed under the name Le Maine Castay Cognac.
Everything about the cognac house, vineyards, and the farm is done in a manner that supports our ecosystem. They embrace diversity and keep a number of ancient breeds of sheep and cows. In addition, they are attempting to introduce the partridge back to their vineyard. The partridge is held in high esteem by the family, which is the reason that this is the emblem of the family cognac.
The vineyards cover 23 hectares of land - three of which are dedicated to red grapes, the rest to white. The land is organically fertilized thanks to the farms ancient breeds of sheep (solognote) and cows (bazadaise), with compost made on the farm.
Visiting Le Maine Castay Cognac
There is no information available about visiting Le Maine Castay Cognac. Contact the house directly for more information.