Created just shy of five years ago, D’USSÉ Cognac may seem young, but everything about them exudes age-old tradition and regional history. Crafted at one of the oldest Cognac houses in France, the Château de Cognac, it makes for stunning eaux-de-vie that quite literally soak up the atmosphere of where they are located. Cellar Master Michel Cassavecchia has been curating Cognac for over two decades, and their range now consists of the D’USSÉ XO and the D’USSÉ VSOP. They have certainly been in the limelight for the past couple of years thanks to a collaboration with US rapper and hip hop mogul, Jay-Z.
Visit Dusse: 127, boulevard Denfert Rochereau ,16100 Cognac ,+33 (0)5 45 36 88 86 ,Guided tours all year around. The visit includes a tour through the medieval chateau of Cognac. www.dusse.com
Visit the website of Dusse Cognac
Interesting facts about the history of D'Ussé Cognac
1. The Dussé brand takes the symbol of the Cross of Lorraine - that's probably why you might know it as the Cognac with a cross on the bottle. It represents the French emblem of courage, honor, and perseverance. They have adopted a symbol of French history for their own. The bottles from this Cognac house, therefore, looks particularly medieval, royal and rustic.
2. They are located at the iconic Château de Cognac which was, in fact, the birthplace of François I king of France. Sitting on the banks of the Charente, you couldn’t get a more scenic spot for producing Cognac.
3. DUSSE Cognac is produced by the same house that brings you the Cognac of Baron Otard - who have been producing Cognacs for centuries.
4. DUSSE Cognac is owned by Bacardi, which is the largest family-owned spirits company in the world, alongside Grey Goose, Dewar’s Scotch Whisky and Bombay Sapphire Gin.
5. Jay-Z is now part owner of the DUSSE Cognac brand.
Jay Z - Dusse Cognac Ambassador and Part-Owner
Read more about Jay Z's exclusive collaboration with this Cognac brand on our blog here. Jay Z is quite the businessman, having already founded Rocawear and Roc Nation.
The Château de Cognac: Home of Dusse Cognac
The Cognac is blended and crafted at the historic Chateau de Cognac, one of the oldest Cognac houses in France.
It is close to the River Charente, resulting in two different climates - a humid cellar that results in fruity, floral notes, and the dry cellar creates woody, spicy flavors of the Cognac. Blending the two eaux-de-vie is the secret to their bottles, the VSOP and XO. Cognac has been produced at this property for over 200 years.
Michel Cassavecchia, DUSSE Cellar Master
Michel Cassavecchia has been crafting Cognacs for over 20 years and has a particular skill in blending to produce a spirit that can be enjoyed both neat, and with certain cocktails. The Dussé Cognac brand has this at the forefront of their craft: he has created an older VSOP blend for aromatic purposes and is left to mature for 6 months after blending.
Read more about how Dusse Cognac is made here on our blog.