Kirkland Signature XO Fine Cognac
Growth area & soil: Blend
Costco Cognac?! Be surprised by the Kirkland Signature XO Fine Cognac
A Costco Cognac may not seem like the most glamorous choice for a connoisseur, but the Kirkland Signature XO Fine Cognac is a unique and pleasant XO that has surprised drinkers around the world with its delicate yet standout flavor profile and pleasing price tag when compared to others of its age.
A unique XO, aged between 12 and 21 years, boasting aromas of oak, vanilla, citrus zest and dried fruit. Hints of honey, rich chocolate and nutty almond are also present. A pleasure on the palate with the sweet textures of molasses and apricot shared both in the mouth and on the nose. Light notes of exotic spices develop onto the finish with a gently warming mouthfeel.
Made exclusively from Ugni Blanc grapes, the product's eaux-de-vie origins are undisclosed. However, it’s clear from tasting this Cognac that Costco have still integrated the craftsmanship and care that it takes to create an XO of superior quality into their Signature Fine Cognac.
Kirkland Signature Fine Awards
This fabulous and fairly-priced XO was given the Silver Medal by the Beverage Testing Institute back in 2016, coming highly recommended by their judges.
How to Serve
Thanks to its long aging process this XO can, of course, be enjoyed neat, with its sweet and citrus balance making it the ideal component alongside a citrusy dessert after dinner, we particularly like to enjoy it alongside a key-lime pie! Thanks to its relatively low price tag, why not experiment with a cocktail that enhances the flavors of the Cognac without overpowering them?
We like this twist on a classic, the Kirkland Signature XO Fine Cognac Old Fashioned!
- 2.5 oz. Kirkland Signature XO Cognac
- 1 sugar cube (regular sugar is fine, but the sugar cube helps to release the oils in the orange zest!)
- 2 dashes of Peychaud’s bitters (Angostura is also fine, but Peychaud’s tends to be more aromatic)
- Large orange peel for garnish
- In a rocks glass, place the sugar cube, a dash of water and bitters into the glass, stir/muddle to achieve a slightly syrupy texture.
- Add the Cognac and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved, add a few ice cubes and stir for a further 30 seconds.
- Twist your orange peel over the top of the glass (releasing the oils onto the drink), rub the zest around the rim of the glass before placing it inside as your garnish.
- Sit back, and enjoy!
Presentation of the bottle
An elegant square design perfectly frames the Cognac stored within, allowing the deep amber tones of this fine XO to shine through.
Its elegant stopper and golden crown embossed onto the glass elevate this atypical producer, placing it alongside those more established in the market. A superior signature that can hold its own against its more expensive counterparts in the XO arena.