Growth area & soil: Blend
Mellow Flavor and Modest Price: Tesco’s Award-Winning VSOP
Recently we’ve seen a growth in own-brand spirits, with many British supermarkets producing their own line of brandies, but none have mastered it quite to the level of this supermarket with their Tesco Cognac VSOP.
Mellowed out in seasonal Limousin oak casks and aged in cellars in the picturesque Cognac region, this rich and complex Cognac can easily stand alongside its more established competitors after winning numerous awards.
Despite its age and moderate price, this Cognac by no means lacks in flavor. Its aging process gives it a rich oaky aroma with a fiery finish of spice on the palate. The Cognac is lightly perfumed with fruity and floral notes.
Tesco VSOP Awards
In 2018 this richly textured VSOP was awarded 90-92.9/100 by the IWSC, putting it alongside other winners such as Richelieu XO Cognac (priced at over $2000 a bottle!).
This Cognac can, of course, be enjoyed neat, but we prefer to mix it into a classic cocktail with a twist. If you are enjoying this VSOP in the summer, why not make a fresh Mint Julep? Or if you’re looking for a winter warmer, how about a Cognac old fashioned?
- Add ½ oz. of sugar syrup, two dashes of Angostura bitters and 8-10 mint leaves to a glass and muddle lightly, add 2 oz. of Tesco VSOP with some crushed ice and allow the fiery spice of the eaux-de-vie to complement the cool mint.
- Garnish with a straw and a sprig of fresh mint.
- A refreshing twist on a whisky classic to keep you cool this summer season.
Cognac Old Fashioned
- Crush one brown sugar cube into a rocks glass, add 4 drops of Angostura bitters and stir, gradually adding ice cubes and 2 oz. of Tesco VSOP.
- When the sugar and ice has diluted enough to fill the glass with the cocktail, add a large slice of orange zest, rimming the glass with the peel to release the oils before dropping in as a garnish.
- The citrus kick of orange and earthy, oaky eaux-de-vie make the perfect spicy, warming beverage to enjoy on a fall evening in front of the fire.
Presentation of the Bottle
An elegant and classic Cognac bottle design, beautifully displaying the VSOP’s caramel color.