La Pipette Verte: The Green Fairy Reimagined for the Modern Mixologist
La Pipette Verte is an extraordinary multifaceted absinthe with an unusual, intriguing and stimulating selection of flavors. The Distillerie des Moisans has utilized their Cognac craftsmanship to produce a range of spirits, with La Pipette Verte Absinthe being their latest edition.
Like Cognac, absinthe has a rich history in France and was a quintessential part of society during the "Belle Epoque". Absinthe has been growing in popularity in recent years, as traditional, historical spirits are being reintroduced, reimagined and repurposed in the modern mixology world. Bartenders have begun to use this iconic eau de vie more and more in their recipes, thanks to its unique spicy aromas and attention grabbing green color.
The Distillerie des Moisans, located in a small hamlet between Cognac and Angouleme, has been run by the Blu Legaret Family for three generations. Distillation and bottling all happen on site, ensuring quality control at every step of the creative process. The family has harnessed the ancestral expertise they have developed over the years, now applying the tradition and legacy of their predecessors to produce classic French absinthe.
Known to many as "La Fée Verte", or the Green Fairy, absinthe has gained a reputation as a strong alcohol (usually 90-148 proof), however, with the launch of La Pipette Verte, La Distillerie des Moisans aims to showcase the versatility of the spirit, celebrating not only its historical importance in France's past, but its future applications in the ever growing modern world of mixology. This particular absinthe reveals notes of wormwood, fennel, licorice and lemon balm.
How to Enjoy:
The masters at Moisans provide two cocktail recipes for you to enjoy their La Pipette Verte and appreciate its unique aromas: one contemporary and one classic.
- 2 fl. oz sparkling water
- 1 fl. oz La Pipette Verte Absinthe
- 1 fl. oz lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 fl. oz orange juice
- 8 mint leaves.
- Crush the mint leaves in a shaker with La Pipette Absinthe.
- Add ice to a hurricane glass and pour in the rest of the ingredients (except for the Absinthe), stir to mix.
- Optional: add a hint of grenadine without stirring, allowing it to settle on the bottom.
- Finally, slowly pour the Absinthe and the mint leaf mixture into the top of the glass.
- This should recreate the colors of the Jamaican flag (but don't forget to mix it up with a straw before drinking it!)
- Garnish with an orange wedge.
The Green Fairy
- 1.5 fl. oz of La Pipette Absinthe
- 1 sugar cube
- Use a traditional absinthe spoon and sit it on top of the rocks glass containing your absinthe.
- Place the sugar cube on the spoon and gradually add water drop by drop.
- This is the traditional way to drink absinthe, you'll need to be patient! Slowly sipping the drink as it dilutes and sweetens will lengthen the licorice flavors of the spirit.
Presentation of the Bottle:
Housed in an apothecary-inspired bottle, the La Pipette Verte design recalls the Belle Epoque era, when absinthe was a popular beverage amongst the elite.
The olive green color of the absinthe vibrantly contrasts the label's black and silver detailing. The drawings and font featured conjure up images of intricately illustrated fairy tales, telling the story of La Fée Verte (the Green Fairy) herself.
The bottle also comes with a lipped neck to facilitate pouring and holding the spirit, especially when taken from a speed rail or bar shelf. The bottle has been designed with mixology in mind, and it would sit nicely along other craft products in any cocktail bar.