Remy Martin Cognac
This established Cognac house has been around since 1724, for nearly 300 years, producing exquisite Fine Champagne Cognac and eau-de-vie de Vin. Fine Champagne is the category of the highest quality in Cognac production. With products such as its famous blend Louis XIII, the house of Rémy with the black centaur logo on its bottles has found international acclaim and has seen an exciting history of family feuds, mergers - and in recent years - a boom in US popular culture.
Visit Remy Martin: 20, rue de la Societe Vinicole ,16100 Cognac ,Visit Rémy Martin all year around for exciting tours, tastings and thematic masterclasses.
77 - 43,659
77 - 43,659
Interesting facts you probably didn’t know about Rémy Martin
1. Is Remy Martin champagne? No - the growth area of Cognacs come from the Fine Champagne, which uses eaux-de-vie from both the Grande and Petite Champagne crus. They are terroirs used for Cognac production only, not champagne - despite the name.
2. Remy Martin is the only Cognac house founded by a winemaker in 1724.
3. Rémy Martin is now part of the Rémy Cointreau group, a powerful company with various luxury products in their range and an international distribution network.
4. Pierette Richet is Rémy Martin’s cellar master, one of the few women in this industry. She’s only the fourth cellar master in 100 years, that is how much the tradition of the house of Rémy Martin has been kept alive through the generations.
5. Like in any grand family tradition there was a feud… André Renaud senior had written in his will that his older daughter Anne-Marie would inherit 51 percent of the company, and his younger daughter Genevieve 49 percent. Anne-Marie married André Hériard Dubreuil (who then ran Rémy Martin) and Genevieve married Max Cointreau, of the popular French liquor company.
6. Rémy Martin has developed a clear spirit, the Rémy Martin V. Instead of aging in oak barrels, the eau-de-vie goes through an ice-cold filtration process. It has hints of pear and fresh mint and in fact, tastes more like vodka than Cognac.
7. Remy Martin VSOP is the first Fine Champagne VSOP ever created.
8. The famous Louis XIII Cognac is originally made with precious Baccarat crystal.
History of Rémy Martin
Rémy Martin Today
Today, the merging of Rémy Martin with Cointreau in 1990 can only be regarded as an important development in the company’s development to international acclaim. Its very own distribution network is firmly in place since 2009 (after having been associated with distributors such as Maxxium, Vin & Spirit, and Beam Global Brands).
Rémy Cointreau owns additional brands Picon, an orange-based aperitif, the rums of Saint James de Martinique and Mount Gay, the Scotch Whiskey Glenturret, the fruit flavored liqueurs Péché Mignon and Passoa, the champagne labels Krug, Heidsieck and Piper Heidsieck and others.
Vincent Gere is the director of the cognac house and the estate. The visitor numbers reach 200.000 each year, among them many American tourists.
Rémy Martin Prices
The price of Rémy Martin bottles differs: The offer goes from young, cheaper Cognac to very, very old bottles - at its price.
To buy Rémy Martin VSOP, the price is at about € 40, the XO Excellence price is € 160 and how much is the price of Rémy Martin Louis XIII? Around € 1800. The bottle of Remy Martin VS can be purchased for a price of around € 25 to € 30.
The Louis Cognac has been reimagined on multiple occasions - the most recent of which is the Louis XIII Black Pearl edition in 2019. The decanter is dedicated to Andre Heriard Dubreuil and is a cutting-edge steel color.
They created a Cannes Film Festival Limited Edition of the Remy Martin XO in 2018 to celebrate the festival. It was created with the famous Remy centaur adorned in golden and black dots on the box.
Remy Martin has gained quite a reputation for itself in the world of hip hop and rap music. Musician and producer Pharrell Williams collaborated with the brand to create a ‘100 Years’ edition Cognac - they announced that Pharrell has locked away his latest song in a vault, to be revealed in the year 2117.
If that’s not interesting enough - Remy Martin created the biggest bottle of Cognac ever in collaboration with Salmanazar; the prestigious Louis XIII Cognac.
Labels and Other Products
Rémy also boasts a range of other products, for instance, the classic Pineau des Charentes or Remy Red, a touch of cognac infused with a mix of red berries, peaches and apricots.
In 2017, Louis XIII releases Remy Martin Louis XIII Legacy Cognac combining the legend of XIII with the ‘legacy’ of the house of Remy Martin. Everything to do with any Cognac created is down to the skill of the cellar master. And over the centuries, only five super-talented people have ever held this illustrious position at Remy Martin.
This limited edition Cognac is presented in its famous crystal decanter with fleur de lys shaped stopper within a delightful presentation case. But what makes Legacy so special is that the decanter sports autographs of four of the five above-mentioned cellar masters: Baptiste Loiseau, Pierrette Trichet, Andre Giraud, and Georges Clot.
Only 500 of this delightful limited edition has been produced, truly making it one for the collectors. Read more about Louis XIII Legacy on our blog.
Visit Rémy Martin
Rémy Martin offers a variety of guided tours, tastings and thematic masterclasses. Visits begin with a ride in a small train around the premises, with stops at the cellars, the vineyards and finally the historical estate and the distillery.
Visiting hours for the Remy Martin tour are from April to October, Monday to Saturday (except on public holidays) and on Sundays (only from June 15 to September 15), from 9.45am to 11.15am and from 1.30pm to 5.15pm. From July 1 to September 15 visits are from 10am to 5.30pm without break. Under 18 year-olds have free entry.
Remy Martin is one of the world's leading Cognac brands.
Prices for bottles of Remy Martin start at around $40, with the more premium bottles costing around $180 and collector's items going for as high as $95,000.
For a simple and refreshing mixed drink, pair Remy Martin with tonic or ginger ale.
An incredibly versatile spirit; Remy Martin can be consumed neat, with a drop of water, with ice, frozen or in a mixed drink.
Remy Martin is a Cognac, which is a type of French Brandy made in the Cognac region.
No, it is a Cognac that is made solely from eaux-de-vie from the Fine Champagne crus. To discover more about the terroirs of Cognac, visit our page Cognac France.
This is dependent on which age category of Remy Martin you are tasting, however the VSOP has flavors of vanilla, oak, baked and dried fruit, liquorice and spices.