Mestreau Today
Mestreau is today a small, specialist Cognac label operating from the Port-la-Rousselle quarter of Saintes, under the stewardship of Maison Grosperrin, which revived the name in 2012. It works on the négociant-éleveur model: eaux-de-vie are selected lot by lot from a network of more than 150 owners across all six Cognac crus, then aged in humid cellars on the banks of the Charente, in soft-tannin oak and without heavy toasting. The house adds no sugar, no boisé and no caramel, and does not cold-filter; some of the oldest stock is not reduced at all. The range we carry is small and cru-led rather than tier-led: a VS and a VSOP blend, the XO N°08 in pure Borderies, and the Cuvée Abel in Grande Champagne above them. The house has been recognised in trade competition, taking a Gold at the Cognac Masters 2016 and a place on The Spirits Business list of best value-for-money Cognacs the same year.
History of Mestreau
The family’s first connection to brandy came through marriage: in 1807 Marguerite Mestreau married Pierre Gastineau, an eau-de-vie merchant’s son, and in 1808 Gastineau became part-owner of the Mestreau family home at the Grand-moulin de Mosnac. Her brother Jean-Frédéric Mestreau (1778-1862) was by 1814 a draper on the île d’Oléron, and it was there, in 1830, that he formally founded the trading house. In 1837 he moved it to Saintes, rue du Port-des-Frères, and by 1864 was listed in the Didot-Bottin directory as both banker and négociant in eaux-de-vie.
His son Eugène-Frédéric Mestreau (1825-1891) joined the firm in 1841 and became one of the notable figures of the region, préfet of the Charente-Inférieure in 1870 and député in 1871. The house registered its first trademark on 16 May 1877, an escutcheon reading England, Scotland, Ireland, America, and filed forty-three marks in all between 1877 and 1912. By 1879 its Cognacs reached nineteen British cities. Phylloxera arrived in the meantime: traces appeared in the family vineyard at Trudon in 1870, the disease was officially declared in the Charente-Inférieure in 1873, and part of Trudon was grubbed up in 1880.
Abel Mestreau (1854-1939) took over, partnered with his brother-in-law Anatole Huvet in 1892, and saw the house become a founding member of the Cognac eaux-de-vie trade syndicate in 1900. Trading ceased in 1911. Abel devoted the rest of his life to collecting, and the collection of Saintonge art he assembled in the Hôtel Monconseil became the musée Dupuy-Mestreau, given to the town of Saintes by his grandson in 1993.
The name returned by way of that same family. In 2008 Guilhem Grosperrin bought old Mestreau bottles from the Dupuy family, including a Grande Champagne of 1820 and a Fine Champagne predating 1893, which had been hidden in the Charente-Maritime through the Second World War and never found by the occupying forces. In 2012 Frédéric Mestreau & Cie was reborn at Port-la-Rousselle, the historic merchants’ quarter of Saintes.